Milk Thistle is a plant that is native to the Mediterranean countries. When the leaves of this plant are crushed, it produces a milky-white fluid – hence it gets the name, Milk Thistle. It has been used across Europe for over 2000 years, primarily to treat liver related ailments. It is also known as ‘St. Mary Thistle’, ‘Holy Thistle’ and ‘Lady Thistle’ in different parts of the world.
Milk Thistle plant can grow up to 10 feet tall and bears purplish coloured flowers, with small seed-like fruits known as achenes, which are the source of its medicinal properties. A compound called Silymarin is found in the extract and it has various regulatory effects on our metabolism.
Benefits of Milk Thistle Extract
Here’s how using milk thistle extract can be useful for you:
- Helps protect the liver. Silymarin found in the extract has anti-fibrogenic properties that aidliver cell regeneration. It is also a powerful detoxifier that helps rebuild the liver tissues, while removing toxins processed by it. The liver cleanses harmful substances from our bloodstream, detoxifies our bodies and releases glucose to give our body the energy it needs. Therefore, proper liver functioning is essential for our health. Milk Thistle has shown proven benefits in the treatment of liver diseases like jaundice, psoriasis, cirrhosis, damage from alcohol and hepatitis, etc.
- Prevention against cancer. Milk Thistle seeds are known for presence of anti-oxidants called Silymarin. Researches have proved that it helps boost the immune system and decreases the risk of cancer. It also reverses cancerous tumor growth and fights damage to the DNA.
- Prevents Kidney Stones.Milk Thistle extract aids the production of bile and enzymes to ensure the endocrine and gastrointestinal functions are working properly. It also purifies the blood and regulates the functioning of gallbladder. Good liver and gallbladder health prevents the formation of kidney stones or gallstones.
- Good for Skin.Phytochemicals produced by Milk Thistle are known to protect against the damage from UV-radiation and can even prevent skin cancer. Patients who have received cancer treatment are advised to topically apply Milk Thistle to the skin in order to reduce the sun damage from radiation.
- Can help lower Cholesterol.The anti-inflammatory powers of Milk Thistle help lower inflammation, cleanse the blood and prevent stress damage to the arteries. This means that the risk of heart related diseases like high cholesterol are considerably lowered.
We at Zenith Nutrition bring you the goodness of this wonderful extract. Our Silymarin Milk Thistle supplement is an anti-oxidant that helps promote healthy liver function.
From taking care of your skin, to protecting you against cancer, Milk Thistle extract has diverse usages and is an all-natural way to boost your overall health. Try it today!